Before we get down to business, don’t be worrying about Theme schemes and domain names. The key is to make sure you’ve decide what platform you’re going to build your fabulous website with.
STEP #1: Get a “platform” (If you where like me, you probably be pulling your hair out.) Don’t worry help is on the Way…
When I first got started with my blog, most sites I was very confuse and lost. Didn’t really know what, CSS,SEO, Coding, CMS and even Flash was. These took me forever to learn and were tricky to master, But I am thankful for YouTube University (lol), my many studies and researching things to be able to start my website.
I believe that is why many people still think creating a website from scratch is difficult or requires a lot of coding and design skills. But really does not in this case!
In 2016, content management systems (CMS) was made easy thanks to WordPress. They made creating a website accessible to everyone which is free and easy to use. Not to mention their assistance has got me through a lot of mistakes during my newbie days. Now WordPress is being used by many people.
The images below are from OpenSourceCMS the three Most Popular Site Building Platforms in 2016.
Five reasons why WordPress is way cooler than the rest?
But before I get started I want to let you know. There are two different WordPress. There are WordPress.com which basically do everything for you. But is limited to what you can do with it. Then there is WordPress.org which is basically your own. You will have to take care of it, manitain it yourself. But it gives you many free way to add anything to it. I will compare them as; .com is like renting an apartment and .org is owning your own house. But both comes with great support. It all depends on how many time your looking to put in it and what you need it for.
Now because at this point there are no better/easier way to build a website overall WordPress is great… Here are five reasons why;
- #1. It’s totally FREE and has many layouts/themes to choose from
WordPress doesn’t cost a dime to download or install, and there’s a huge community who have designed beautiful themes and templates, making it easy to get going fast. In fact I start my blog Mommy Hustle Nation with the free trial, and let me tell you I have never gotten bored with the unique themes and styles they have…
- #2. It’s VERY beginner friendly
Yes, Yes, Yes… I can’t express how true this is. If you have basic knowledge of using a computer and know how to use Microsoft Word, you already have a head start. WordPress can be expanded with free plugins to handle just about any site you can imagine – from gorgeous business pages to social networking sites. With “plugins” you’ll be able to add contact forms, subscription forms, image galleries and so on for your website which is pretty simple.
- #3. Small or Big site? Great for both.
You have the option of choosing from basic blogs to some beautiful business sites and online stores, WordPress can handle just about any kind of website. WordPress is used by eBay, Mozilla, Reuters, CNN, Google Ventures and even NASA.
- #4. Your site will be ‘RESPONSIVE IN NO TIME’.
The website you build will instantly be responsive, looking great on every mobile device, smart phone and tablet. No need to hire a web developer for that..
- #5. *THE GOLD* HUGE support and developer community available to help.
With so many people using the platform (Webmaster, Bloggers, Theme developers and Plugin creators), it’s easy to find QUICK help when you need it. In addition, WordPress has lots of free resources both available on what I like to call YouTube University and their support forum are great.
First go ahead Installing WordPress
You can easily install WordPress two ways and I am going to explain that for you.
1. One-Click-installation for Websites like WordPress…
Almost every reliable and well established hosting company has integrated 1-click-installation for WordPress, which makes getting going a snap.
If you signed up with Bluehost or any other similar hosting company, you should find your “1-click-installation” in your account control panel.
Here are the steps you can follow along with (should be similar/same on all the major web hosting companies):
- 1. Log in to your hosting account.
- 2. Go to your control panel.
- 3. Look for the “WordPress” icon.
- 4. Choose the domain where you want to install your website.
- 5. Click the “Install Now” button and you should get access to your NEW WordPress website.
2. Manual install (if needed)
This step by step manual guide will show you how to:
1) Download WordPress from here: http://wordpress.org/download
2) Create a new folder on your desktop and unzip WordPress in it
3) Look for a file named wp-config-sample.php and rename it to: wp-config.php
4) Now open the wp-config.php (with notepad for example) and fill the following lines:
- define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name_here’); – Database name (if you don’t know it, ask this from your hosting support)
- define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username_here’); – Your hosting username
- define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password_here’); – Your hosting password
After you have filled the gaps, now you save the file.
5) Now log into your hosting page (Download FileZilla.) The FTP address is usually ftp.yourdomain.com, username and password are the same that you used to register to your host.
6) If there is any file named “index” – delete it. After that upload all the files from your WordPress folder to your FTP server. I believe you can use “drag n drop” function in FileZilla.
7) Once you have completed the previous steps, go the URL: yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php
Just fill in the form below and YOU ARE IN BUSINESS MY FRIEND…
Tip: Mostly all of the hosting site have 1-click-installation and if they don’t will sorry to say they just maybe an outdated host company! Which is why I recommend Bluehost, very reliable.
Choosing a Theme/Template for your site
Once you have successfully installed WordPress to your domain, you’ll see a very basic yet clean site: Play around with the theme and there are FREE ones,so put your own style on it.
Here’s how to find a theme you like:
1. Log into your WordPress dashboard
If you’re not sure how, type in: http://yoursite.com/wp-admin (replace “yoursite” with your domain).
This is what the WordPress dashboard looks like:
Everything is easily labelled. But for better teaching purpose I’m going to show you where to go next.
2. Access FREE themes
Once you’re in the dashboard, you’ve got access to over 1300+ free themes! Just look along the side bar for “Appearance”, then click “Themes”. You can search even more because they give you the option to select “FREE THEMES.” So spend some time browsing around the free themes, trust me they are great. A matter of fact my blog Mommy Hustle Nation is currently using a free theme and it was very easy to do. Why spend more money when they are free once are just as Awesome. And looks just as good on any mobile device.
3. Install your new theme
Once you have found a theme you like, installing it is as simple as clicking “Install” followed by “Activate”.
IMPORTANT: Changing themes won’t delete your previous posts, pages and content. You can change themes as often as you want without having to worry about losing what you’ve created.
How do I add content and create new pages?
With your theme installed, you’re ready to start creating content. Let’s quickly run through some of the basics:
Adding and editing pages
Want a “About Me” page, or an “My life” page (like I have on my menu at the top of the site?)
1. Look along the sidebar in the WordPress Dashboard for “Pages” -> “Add New”.
2. Once you’ve clicked, you’ll find a screen that looks a lot like what you’ve maybe seen in Microsoft Word. Add text, images and more to build the page you want, then save it when you’re done.
Adding pages to the menu
If you want your new page to be linked to your navigation bar,
1. Save any changes you’ve made to the page by clicking “Update”
2. Click “Appearance” -> “Menus” in the sidebar of the WordPress Dashboard
3. Find the page you created and add it to the list by clicking the check box next to it and then “Add to Menu”.
Adding and editing posts
If you have a blog on your website, “Posts” will be where you turn to next. You can use different categories to group similar posts.
If you want to add a blog to your website, you can use different categories and posts. Let’s say you want to create a category named “Blog”. To do so, simply add it to your menu and start making posts.
Here’s what you need to do:
a. Create a new category by going to “Posts -> Categories”
b. Create a blog post by going to “Posts -> Add New”. Once you’ve finished writing your blog post blog post is ready, you need to add the right category for it.
Once you’ve created your category, simply add it to the menu, and you’re in business!
Changing Your Title and Tagline
Page titles explain to searchers what your website is about, and they’re also a big part of how search engines determine your rankings, so you want to make sure they’ve got the keywords you want to target in them (but in a natural way, written for real people).
You should use a unique title on every page of your site. For example, a site’s title is can “How to make a Website”.
Taglines are added at the end of titles across every page. a site’s tagline is can be “Step by Step Guide”
In order to change the title and tagline on your website, go to “Settings -> General” and fill in the form below:
To save you some time, here is a list of the most popular and useful plugins that webmasters find useful:
- #1 Contact form 7: It’s an awesome feature to have, as people (like you!) can fill in the form and send you an email without logging into their own email provider. If you want to do something similar, definitely get this plugin. P.S. Here’s a step-by-step guide for setting it up by Robert Maning.
- #2 Yoast SEO for WordPress: If you want to make your WordPress site even more SEO-friendly, this plugin is a must-have. It’s free, and it’s awesome. You’ll be able to edit your title tags, meta descriptions and more, all from within the page itself – no more fussing with WordPress settings.
- #3 Google Analytics: Interested in tracking your visitors/traffic and their behavior? Just install the plugin, connect it with your Google account and you’re ready to go.
Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg! Here’s a list of the top 100 plugins for WordPress by Tom Ewer.
(Drum rolls)… Congratulations – you’re ready!
If you’ve followed the steps in this guide, you should now have a fully functional WordPress website! That wasn’t so bad, was it? Now go out there and enjoy your site.
I hope you found this guide really useful.
Last, but not least..
If you find my guides useful and know it would help others please share this article.
Great Job you are now ready to launch!!!
Be bless Janielle Saddler